Signs of rickets
Childhood Diseases / / March 30, 2016
If our parents followed the advice of doctors almost unquestioningly, modern moms often make recommendations to pediatricians questioned.This is understandable: the abundance of information and inconsistency can confuse anyone.The forums are increasingly inflamed debate on the Internet about the need for appointment of infants of vitamin D. Its overdose leads to serious consequences, and our children are well fed, lots of walking, how do we get rickets?So talk mom.It seems to be all right.But sometimes vitamin D plays a vital importance for the child and saves him, not only from a lack of calcium, but also on the health problems in the future.
Rickets - a disease caused by lack of calcium and phosphate in the body of the child, expressed in violation bone mineralization, growth retardation and bone deformities, vascular dysfunction.To understand why the deficiency of calcium and phosphorus, lead to the development of such a difficult disease, it is necessary to determine the role of these minerals in the human body.First of all, they - the constituent components of bone, bricks needed to build our skeleton.Calcium
responsible for muscle contraction, nerve cells helps operation, regulates the tone of the autonomic nervous system is a part of protein molecules, hormones and enzymes.Phosphorus - not less valuable substance.It provides energy processes involved in glucose metabolism.And then the question arises: if these minerals are so important for the body, then why rickets only small children are ill?
The fact that the baby lies an enormous load: its growth in the first year of life increases the average 1.5-2, weight - 3 times!And this with the relative immaturity of different systems, and therefore the compensation mechanisms.Because even a small deficit of certain substances affect the baby's health.Particularly susceptible to the development of rickets premature babies.Adults have long emerged from a period of intensive growth, so calcium deficiency to them may go unnoticed and do not cause discomfort.
Prerequisites for the emergence of rickets often are added before the birth of the baby.
- risk of rickets in the first year of life increased by several times, if the expectant mother suffered from preeclampsia during pregnancy, or in compliance with a vegetarian diet.
- Rickets often develops in children who are bottle-fed, if not complied with the principles of nutrition, as well as prolonged breastfeeding when the mother abandons the timely introduction of complementary foods.
- Lack of calcium and phosphate may occur in a child with the syndrome of impaired intestinal absorption (malabsorption) that develops due to various reasons: lactase deficiency, celiac disease, intestinal infections.Rickets can trigger genetic diseases, convulsive disorders (long application luminal), kidney and liver.
To drink or not?
Prevention of rickets begins during pregnancy.Mom needs more to be outdoors, eat well (necessarily the presence of milk, meat products, eggs, vegetables and fruits in the diet).Under the conditions of the middle zone of healthy children first year of life pediatricians usually given a prophylactic dose of vitamin D, which should be taken from October to May.In the period from May to September, prophylactically vitamin D should not be taken as at that time in sufficient quantity produced under the influence of solar radiation.
If you have a child rickets doctor prescribes vitamin D at a dose of more than preventative.rickets treatment should be not only a medication, be sure to include in therapy walking outdoors, swimming, hardening, massage If your baby is suffering from rickets, do not rush to put it on its feet.Due to lack of calcium and phosphorus bone baby become soft and easily deformed, getting ugly O- or X-shaped.
rickets sick girl?Try not to put it a little longer: there is a danger of deformation of the pelvis.In this case, the baby in the future may have problems with fertility.Remember that non-compliance with the dosage may develop acute or chronic poisoning vitamin D. Clinically acute intoxication manifested severe general condition of the child, thirst, vomiting, sudden weight loss, convulsions.It is necessary to immediately stop taking vitamin D and call "ambulance."
Chronic poisoning vitamin D manifests itself as poor appetite, weakness, irritability, sleep disorders, early closure of a large fontanelle, high blood pressure, kidney stones.It is necessary to stop taking vitamin D and consult a doctor immediately.If you notice signs of rickets in a child, you should consult your pediatrician as an independent appointment of vitamin D can cause serious consequences.
main signs of rickets
clinical picture of the disease depends on the degree of deficiency of calcium and phosphorus, respectively, and is growing in nature.For mild form of rickets is characterized by:
- increased neuro-psychic anxiety, which manifests itself in the form of frequent irritable crying, anxiety, poor sleep;
- slight growth retardation;
- suppleness and tenderness of the skull bones;
- slow closing of a large fontanelle;
- flattening of the occiput;
- dull color and brittle hair, the formation of bald patches on the head.This baby cries a lot, easily awakened.As a result of excessive sweating of the child mother has often changed his clothes, he grows slowly, such a baby not long teeth erupt, slowing the pace of psychomotor development (later starts to hold his head up, roll over, sit up on the handles).
When rickets moderate form all of these symptoms become more pronounced, in addition, draw attention to themselves:
- unusual head shape: flattened head, pronounced frontal and parietal hillocks - the so-called yagoditseobrazny skull;
- chest deformity: the child's chest looks sunken or, on the contrary, takes the form of the keel;
- marked intercostal spaces, attention is drawn to Harrison's groove - the boundary between the chest and abdomen takes the form of the groove;
- stomach becomes like a frog as a result of severe muscle hypotonia;
- marked fatigue, kid prefers to stay in bed for a long time, refuses to games;
- disorders of the nervous system can be manifested in the form of chin trembling, pens;
- if by that time the baby has learned to get up, becomes noticeable deformity of the legs: they look like the letter "X" or "O".
- pronounced lag in the physical and mental development;
- gross deformities of the skull, chest and limbs;
- these kids are not usually able to not only get out of the crib, and even sit without support;
- addition babies may experience shortness of breath (dyspnea), increased heart rate, enlarged liver;
- at this stage of the child's bone disease become brittle, easily broken that even small external influences.
04, 04, 2016
04, 04, 2016