Child Development / / March 28, 2016
Breastfeeding still causes a lot of rumors and fears.Every woman at least once in his life heard the horror stories on the "milk" theme: cracked nipples, engorgement, poor lactation, etc ... In fact, successfully bring up a child is every mother.If free from misconceptions about breastfeeding.
Misconception: women instinctively know how to breastfeed.
Actually: before childbirth breastfeeding study theory.Assist courses, magazines, books, magazines.A better - all together.Provide a place and time to smoothly acquire these great women's art:
- in a quiet place set a comfortable chair or a chair is not very deep;
- next - a table where you keep snacks for yourself, as well as water, napkins, rags.
For the first time after the birth of a child set aside all other concerns and do not worry about anything, mastering the science of feeding, even festive bustle about the birth and the familiar warning - for this you have all the rest of my life ...
Misconception: breastfeeding - an intimate and solitary process.
Actually: better not to learn it alone.From time immemorial, feeding secrets handed down in practice by mothers and grandmothers.Even before the baby is born, ask to share their experience relative or friend who successfully breastfeed her baby, and agreed that it will help you familiarize yourself with the new skill.Some centers have lactation consultant.
Misconception: postpartum food can make it less nutritious.
Actually: in breastfeeding period must be not less nutrients than the last trimester of pregnancy!When doing power fitness should be more.But one can not overeat: just three meals plus snacks.Prepare for it in advance:
- arrange who will help prepare the meal, when the child will be;
- leave on the table a plate of food for a snack - greens, corn bread, vegetables, fruits, nuts, dried fruit, etc ;.
- breast milk at 87.5% water, so drink more, in any case, at least 9-10 glasses a day.
Misconception: child himself is able to take the breast.
Actually: baby can take the breast due to malposition and mothers action.Therefore:
- before you put the baby to the breast, place it on the hands so that the baby's face was drawn to you, and his tum came to you;
- tickle the child's lips nipple while his mouth opens wide, and at this time insert the nipple into his mouth;
- make sure that he took in the mouth not only the nipple, but the areola (the dark circle of skin surrounding the nipple).
Experts major US research institutions - on the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency), the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (National Institute of Child Health and Human development) and the Center for the treatment and prevention of diseases(Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) - The chemical composition of breast milk and the effect of its components on child health.Conclusion: Although breast milk is the best source of nutrition for infants, a concern content in the milk of a number of toxic substances that pass from mother to child, so women have the most to protect themselves from exposure to toxins before and during pregnancy and lactation:
- remove from walls and other surfaces of paint containing lead.The walls of the bedroom free of vinyl and wallpaper paste over the paper.During work in the apartment can not live;
- not breathe vapors household chemicals;
- eat fish caught in the clean waters only;
- not breathe vapor formed during combustion;
- try to eat fruits and vegetables grown without chemicals;
- not breathe vapors of acetone and other cosmetics (varnishes, styling, nail polish removers, etc.);
- not put new carpet, linoleum, do not install a new plastic furniture - the first time it is a source of strong fumes;
- evaporation also provide new computers, household appliances and electronics to plastic parts.Most ventilate the premises.
problems with breastfeeding
is important to solve the problems with breastfeeding immediately, as soon arise.
Nipples sore, cracked or bleeding. slight pain is normal at first, but severe pain or irritation - often a sign of an incorrect position of the baby during feeding.Master the technique of proper feeding, and in addition:
- first let's less painful breasts;
- before you take the chest, place your fingers on the corners of the mouth kid;
- breast milk enough healing, so squeeze out some milk on the nipple after feeding and let it dry;
- not wash the breast with soap and water is enough.
breasts swell. This is normal between the third and fifth day after birth - so your breasts produce milk.The swelling should subside in a day or two because of frequent feedings, but also:
- put a warm compress on the breast before feeding to stimulate the outflow of milk;
- if the breast is too tight, a little milk Decant breast pump or by hand, until it becomes softer, - otherwise, the child can not suck normally;
- if pain or swelling of the strengths and you have a fever, seek medical attention immediately, it may be a sign of mastitis.
Milk leaking itself. This is normal, your body adjusts to breastfeeding.Lactation is stabilized between the 2nd and 4th months after childbirth.Before use napkins or pads.When, during the feeding of the second breast starts to flow, use a clean towel to soak up the milk is poured.
Milk distinguished with difficulty. Sometimes only a few minutes after the baby takes the breast, it is possible to cause an outflow of milk.
- Make a warm compress on the breast or take a warm shower before feeding.
- Massage breast toward the nipple.
- Relax, listen to music or light a candle during feeding.
Milk stands out too quickly and abundantly. If a child almost choked strong stream, subtract it from the chest.Decant the first less nutritious milk, let the child suck milk far, completely emptying the breast.For once feeding only one breast, no matter how great the temptation to offer another.
subtleties of psychology breastfeeding
Misconception: postpartum you - the main figure in the home and are responsible for everything.
Actually: now more than ever, it is important to shift responsibilities to others, to nurture your own child.Accept help when it is offered, and if you do not offer, do not hesitate to ask to carry clothes to the laundry, clean the bathroom, keep an eye on the baby while you take care of herself.
Misconception: breast-feeding should be stopped as soon as the milk is not enough.
Actually: is dictated by the error or unconscious fear that the baby will start to bore or secret reluctance to breastfeed.To be persistent, have enough milk.When the baby suckles 8-12 times a day, the 6th day of his life wets at least 6 diapers, and 3 - stain "shit", then your little angel, your celestial gets enough to eat!If still in doubt, feed more often - for example, every 3 hour.