Why have a headache in the back of his head : hundreds of possible diagnoses !How to find out the cause and get rid of a headache in the back of his head ?
Health / / August 12, 2017
In today's world, which is characterized mainly sedentary lifestyle, high stress, chronic sleep deprivation, pain in the neck closely accompanied in our life.
It can be of varying intensity and character, can last permanently or occur under certain circumstances.It is necessary to understand why a headache in the back of her head, the development of some diseases it indicates what methods can diagnose the cause, get acquainted with the principles of treatment and prevention.
basic reasons why a headache in the back of his head
consider a number of diseases and try to understand why a headache in the back of the head in patients with these disease states:
1. spine diseases in the cervical spine (low back pain, cervical spondylosis).
Damage to intervertebral discs, which occurs when the cervical osteochondrosis leads to deformation and compression of blood vessels and nerves.Therefore, there is pain in the back of the head with the transition to the neck, often spreading to the upper back andshoulders.The patient notes that tilts the head and hands movements increase the pain.In advanced cases developed vertebrobasilar syndrome.His appearance suggests - dizziness, decrease in the quality of hearing and vision, tinnitus, disturbance of spatial coordination.
osteochondrosis can cause cervical migraines.Pain occurs in the back of his head to the right or left side and moves to the temporal and / or eyebrow area.Such symptoms should be a signal for the patient of the need to seek medical advice.
degenerative changes of the spine ligament apparatus to form bone nodules characteristic of cervical spondylosis.Its distinguishing feature may include stiffness.These "spikes" put pressure on blood vessels and nerves, so the disease is accompanied by prolonged or persistent pain.Head movements aggravate pain, disturbed sleep.
2. High pressure, as a manifestation of hypertensive disease, manifested Matins bursting pain in the neck, it becomes more intense when bending and combined with a feeling of heaviness in the head, dizziness.Relief comes after the state vomiting.
3. pathology cervical spine muscles (myositis, miogeloz).
Hypothermia or injuries can cause inflammation of the muscles of the neck - cervical myositis.Its special feature is a sharp and burning pain in the neck, which turns on the neck and interscapular region.It appears and increases with movement.
miogeloza provoke appearance of bad posture, overexertion of muscles or stay in the draft.On the neck there are painful muscle compression, which is manifested by pain in the neck and head, head movements are constrained, disrupted the blood supply to the brain and as a result, dizziness.
4. Neuralgia cervical spine occurs after exposure to cold, often accompanied with osteochondrosis.The pain is sharp, burning, paroxysmal in nature, mainly localized on the neck and head, giving the scalp and increases with coughing and movement.
5. forced and awkward posture in the performance of professional activities (from office workers, drivers) triggers muscle tension and the emergence of a long and dull pain.Rubbing the back of the head and cervical spine, light physical activity can help reduce or relieve the pain.
6. defeat of the temporo-mandibular joints and malocclusion - manifested by pain in the neck, parotid and ear area, has a blunt character, enhanced by the evening, and can last for several days.The hallmark symptom is a click when you open your mouth.
7. Excessive emotional and physical stress especially for weather-sensitive people.Heavy physical work load or excessive moral cause a feeling of heaviness and "goose" in the neck and forehead.
8. vascular disease (atherosclerosis), accompanied by spasm and narrowing of the lumen of the vein or artery, causing blood stasis and increased intracranial pressure.
Why have a headache in the occiput diagnostic methods
If a person has observed isolated cases of pain in the back of the head, they can explain the long-term forced posture, sleep on a firm basis, hunger, smoking or stress, you should not be worried.
When frequent and long-term pain in the back of the head should not self-medicate, and see a physician for diagnosis.
At the first stage be patient survey and compilation of the history of the disease (the profession, stress).It is important to clarify the nature of pain (acute or dull, aching or throbbing, temporary or permanent) and localization (the occipital region and neck) and distribution of the reinforcement (the slopes or movement) and that helps her mute (after vomiting for hypertension), to determine damagedplace (muscles, blood vessels or nerves of the neck).
On examination, the doctor determines the presence or absence of restricted movement, bony growths or painful muscle formation.Requests to open the patient's mouth - for identifying the click characteristic of malocclusion.
From laboratory methods carry out blood tests to determine inflammation and lipid profile (presence of atherosclerosis).
Instrumental methods study why a headache in the back of the head include:
• pressure measurement for the diagnosis of hypertension;
• X-rays of the cervical spine determines the presence of osteoarthritis or injury, deformation of the intervertebral discs, vascular narrowing, bony growths;
• Doppler detects cerebral vascular pathology of vessels;
• Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the head and neck for the diagnosis of occipital neuralgia.
is also important to consult with a neurologist.
methods of treating a condition, when a headache in the back of his head
At home, at the first appearance of pain in the neck to apply such measures :
1. provide fresh air and to release from the neck tight clothing;
2. sweet drink hot tea and not to succumb to stress;
3. massage the neck, back of the head and shoulders and make some easy head movements;
4. if possible, take the prone position.
In cases of frequent and repeating pain in the back of his head, after the diagnosis the doctor prescribes treatment.
The main treatments that will help to solve the problem - a headache in the back of his head, include:
1. massage and manual therapy - movement should be easy to relieve tension from the neck and back, improve blood flow through the vessels and reduce highintracranial pressure.Intense and hard massage can worsen the patient's condition.
Important: hypertension and spondylosis massage is contraindicated.
2. physiotherapy include electrophoresis, ultrasound therapy, magnetic therapy and is used in osteochondrosis, miogeloze, vascular pain, lesions of nerve fibers (neuralgia occipital nerve) and increased intracranial pressure.
3. physiotherapy - pick up a set of exercises for the reduction and removal of the neck muscle tension.A simple exercise - in a sitting position with a flat back, tilt your head forward and allow it to fall under its own weight to the feelings of stretching the back of the neck muscles.After 15-20 seconds, when the muscles are stretched as much as possible, carefully and slowly raise your head.The same amount of time (15-20 seconds), keep your head and back down.Several approaches should be made to improve.
Important: physiotherapy has its contraindications.It is impossible to carry out the exercises, when the head pain in the neck combined with a feeling of dizziness and nausea.It is forbidden to throw back his head and perform a circular motion.
4. Acupuncture - effective at an osteochondrosis, neuralgia occipital nerve and stress.
5. Drug therapy - with considerable pain for the doctor prescribes analgesics.
6. Aromatherapy - jasmine and lavender oils help to relax, reduce vasospasm and soothe.
Headache in occiput: folk remedies
For mild headaches in the back of the head using the recipes of traditional medicine:
1. cabbage leaf (pre-dented) is applied to the back of the head and neck.In the form of compresses and use of minced horseradish and onion;
2. tea from the flowers of linden or more herbs (sage, mint and meadowsweet) to help relieve the stress and pain;
3. decoction or tea hips - eliminates the narrowing of blood vessels, lowers blood pressure a little bit because of the diuretic action;
4. valerian tincture - has a calming and soothing effect of light, it makes a person more resistant to stress, improves sleep;
5. influence their own heat - rub the palms of both hands against each other until the sensation of heat and put his left hand on the forehead and the right - on the back of the neck and hold for several minutes.
methods of prevention when a headache in the back of his head
The main method of preventing pain in the neck include:
1. lifestyle correction - rational alternation of work and rest, restful sleep;
2. proper nutrition, enriched with herbs, fresh fruit and vegetables for the prevention of hypertension, osteoarthritis, etc .;
3. sports , including morning exercises;
4. safety when working at the computer - every hour for 15 minutes, combining with physical activity and exercise for the eyes (looks at distant and near objects one by one) for the prevention of blood stasis;
5. minimize the use of alcohol, caffeine and nicotine, they exacerbate the feeling stress;
6. patients with hypertension and in patients with risk (obesity, thyroid disease) carry out test measurements and monitor the performance of the pressure;
7. persons whose profession associated with prolonged stay in an uncomfortable position and a sedentary work, should be 2 times a year take a massage course for the prevention of spinal injury and muscle.
8. Women do not often recommended to tie your hair into a tight ponytail.
Thus, there are many answers to the question "Why have a headache in the back of his head," and they may be the first manifestation of a serious illness.
Individual pain disappears after simple prevention rules.
If the pain recur, massage and traditional medicines do not help, you need to determine the cause and cure, and not with self-tightening.