Cardamom - description , properties , use in cooking.Recipes with cardamom .
Recipes / / August 12, 2017
Cardamom - description
Cardamom is a classic spice from the fruit of the same name of herbaceous plants of the ginger family.He comes from the Malabar coast of India and Ceylon.These countries are today the largest manufacturers of cardamom.In addition, it is grown in Guatemala and Tanzania.However, if we evaluate the quality and taste, the undisputed leader is the Indian cardamom.
And in ancient times, merchants, Arabs brought cardamom to the Greeks and Romans.From them about this wonderful spices known in Europe.Dioscorides and Pliny call Cardamom "gentlest" spice with great healing power.
At first, this plant grows wild.Today, wild cardamom can be found in the Middle East and Sri Lanka.Since the XIX century, it began to grow as a culture, moving from forest to plantations.Cardamom grows in areas with moist fertile soil, in warm and humid climate.Cultivation of cardamom is a very time-consuming process, as the plantation falls passing the planting of trees, which should overshadow the plant fromsunlight.
When cardamom fades, its pods, capsules spice mature for a few months, dozrevaya to the desired stage by mid-January.Collectors of cardamom are often interested only slightly immature fruits, as mature when drying crack and do not get the desired shade.After harvesting the fruits are dried and are a light green color.The dried cardamom is purified and sorted by size.
Cardamom - properties
about the therapeutic properties of cardamom has long been known.It contains from 3% to 8% of essential oils, which have a fatty oil;up to 10% rubber and amidona.Also, cardamom seeds are rich in terpineol, terpinilatsetatom, cineol, protein.Through this use it to stimulate the secretion of gastric juice of the stomach muscles strengthen, purified gastrointestinal tract and digestion is normalized.
Also cardamom characterized by a significant content of calcium, phosphorus, iron, magnesium and zinc, which it is more in comparison with other spices.Due to the content of vitamins B1, B2, B3, cardamom improves the condition of the nervous system, relieving tension.He is also able to deduce from the state of depression and stimulate the brain.
Eastern medicine ascribes cardamom ability to remove the mucus from the body, allowing you to use it to treat asthma, bronchitis, colds and cough.
Because of antiseptic and analgesic properties using cardamom facilitate toothache, cleanse your mouth and breath.
Cardamom is also a pronounced tonic.It is able to improve the performance of the heart muscle, and is an effective tool for the treatment of cystitis, nephritis, urinary incontinence.
Cardamom is not recommended to be used with a stomach ulcer.
Cardamom - use in cooking
most favorite spice is cardamom in the countries of its growth, as part of these peoples' traditional spice mixtures, which are seasoned with meat and rice, as well as fruit and nuts.The Arabs made from antiquity to enrich cardamom coffee, the preparation of which several boxes freshly ground spices put in pots.Thanks cardamom coffee taste becomes more spicy, but the flavor - rich.In addition, cardamom has the ability to smooth out the effects of caffeine and thus prevent the risk of tachycardia and high blood pressure.
The peoples of northern India, he is a part of the traditional spice mixtures.Also in India, cardamom is used for the preparation of traditional drinks.
China cardamom decided to add tea.
As for the European nations, they improve with the help of cardamom flavor gravies and sauces.Cardamom mixed with saffron and cumin seasoned boiled fish;Cardamom with red pepper is used for fried fish;with cayenne pepper - to baked fish and other seafood;with marjoram -.. for jellied fish, etc.
French liqueurs flavored with cardamom and the Germans enrich their blend of spices, which they flavored famous Lebkuchen "lebkyuhen" - an indispensable treat Christmas table.
In Russia cardamom flavored porridge, but today in Russian cuisine it is used for sdabrivaniya dishes of veal, beef, lamb.It is used for fried, and cooked products (goulash, minced meat, rice, pâtés, meat on the spit, and so on. D.).Cardamom is also used when baking cakes, honey gingerbread, muffins, cakes and pies from dough.This spice flavored fruit drinks, jelly, mousse.
Examples of recipes with cardamom
Recipe 1: Milk sweet rice with cardamom
This dish is an excellent dairy dessert.
1 hour. L.cardamom seeds (ground).
method for preparing :
1. Thoroughly wash rice.
2. Mixing the milk in a saucepan with the rice, bring them to a boil.
3. Reduce the heat, boil the milk with occasional stirring, to evaporate it in half.
4. When we see that the thickened milk, add sugar and cardamom and boil for about 5 minutes.After removing from heat, cool.
5. sprinkle the finished dish roasted almonds, if desired.
Recipe 2: Scottish biscuits with cardamom
tasted this dish, you will realize that the Scots know a lot about and cookies, and spices.Cardamom gives it a completely incomparable flavor, so sweet tooth will appreciate these cookies.
1 hour. L.cardamom seeds (ground);
0,5 h. L.quenched with lemon juice soda;
for salt taste.
method for preparing :
1. Heat the oven to 120 C. sift the flour several times.
2. Thoroughly mix the oil with cardamom, whipping it and gradually add powdered sugar.You can do it with a mixer.
3. Mix the flour with the semolina and salt (you can add to the weight of any crushed nuts).
4. Combining butter with flour, knead the dough and distribute it on a dry baking sheet, having a radius of 20-25 cm. Cut the resulting layer on a cookie, gently pierce the dough with a fork at a distance of about 2 cm.
5. Bake for an hour,until the pastry will become a pale golden (but not brown) color.
6. Take out the cookies from the oven and immediately sprinkle with sugar, give cool.
7. Carefully renew with a knife made before baking cut line and lay cookies on a tray.
3 Recipe: Pumpkin Porridge with cardamom, baked in a pot
Pumpkin contains nutrients and minerals needed by the body.Season with cardamom it, we get a very useful and tasty dish.
5 c.cardamom (ground);
method for preparing :
1. Put well washed millet in a saucepan, fill it with water.We are bringing it to a boil.
2. After cleaning the pumpkin and remove from it the seeds, rub on a coarse grater.Mix it with sugar, cinnamon and cardamom, mix well.
3. Put in a pot of layers of pumpkin and millet, fill them with milk (it should be 2 fingers to cover the pumpkin).Preheat oven to 200 ° C, put in her pot and cook the dish for about an hour.
Cardamom - helpful tips experienced cooks
On cardamom flavor is very influenced by the quality of seeds, therefore, buying this spice, pay special attention to him.Avoid buying seed boxes which are shriveled, empty, too small (immature) or are cracked.
Cardamom is a searing spiciness, so must be handled carefully.In cooking such standards adopted its use: for a batch of 0.3 g to 0.5 g for a single serving (in the form of ground seeds) for liquid foods dose taken 2 times less, and used in the form of seeds, which is placed in a dish of5 minutes before it is ready.