Cultivation cinquefoil : Beauty and use on your site .What rules must be followed when growing Potentilla ?
A House And A Garden / / April 15, 2016
Bloodroot (differently - Kuril tea) - a perennial shrub.
It is a very long time was put into culture and grown as an ornamental.
And in recent years, bloodroot has spread, and as a useful tool in recipes of traditional medicine .
Many varieties of cold-resistant shrubs and undemanding in care.Try it and you grow it on your site - an excellent option when decorating the garden.
Popular varieties of cinquefoil: which one is better?
Derived many varieties of cinquefoil - more than 500. Each of them is resistant to external conditions, planting and flowering periods, the size and shade of inflorescences, stem height.
Gardeners can choose one of the following popular types of landscape design:
• Bloodroot Altai .The plant stretches up to 35 cm in length, which makes possible its use in decoration rockeries and rock.Flowers - 15 mm in diameter, assembled in the inflorescence.
• Bloodroot brilliant .A beautiful shrub with pale pink flowers and silvery-green leaves.He is love of light and likes to frequent wetting of the soil.Designers used in rock gardens.
• Bloodroot acaulescent .The lowest representative of the whole family - all grow up to 6 cm in length.During the flowering bushes form a miniature grassy inflorescences with a diameter up to 17 mm.
• Bloodroot Nepalese .Representatives of this type are known for long flowering period - up to 55 days.Vivid red or dark pink flowers adorn any garden.Hybrids derived Nepal cinquefoil - Floris, Miss Wilmotte, Roxanne.
• Bloodroot dark red and bloody .Plant height -. 60 cm Bloom starts early - as early as June.Inflorescence - up to 5 cm in diameter, scarlet hue.Beautiful variety of dark blood-red cinquefoil - Gibson's Scarlet.
• hybrid cinquefoil .Shrub in compliance with the rules of care can reach a height of 90 cm Shades of inflorescences bred cultivars hit -. Yellow, purple, pink, bright red.Popular breeds varieties of hybrid cinquefoil - Captivity, Volcano, Floris Master, Yellow Queen.
• Bloodroot Apennine .It is a perennial that grows to a length of 15 cm. It is usually planted on stony rock garden.
• Bloodroot Arctic .Representatives of the species tolerate the cold, but the excellent growth figures are only lit areas.Flowers - rich yellow.Leaves - dark green with a light trim.
• white Bloodroot .The plant is extended in length to 25 cm Flowering begins under favorable conditions early -. In mid-May.On the stems bloom white inflorescences up to 3 cm in diameter.Bloodroot white unpretentious in the care and well-wintering.
• Potentilla goose .Undemanding plant with yellow flowers - can actively bloom even in areas with adverse environmental conditions.For shrub will shady place.
Each species Potentilla forms dense hardwood crown and decorative tolerates "haircut".You can choose any of the varieties.
Which site to choose for planting cinquefoil?
While bloodroot considered nekapriznym plant, take her to the right place!When all the conditions the plant can bloom until the onset of cold weather.
land for active growth of the bush should be:
• with fertile soil (but can go up and loam),
• with a moderate humus content in the soil,
• the level of pH 7-8,5
• protected from the north winds,
especially important light level, because not all varieties of Potentilla grow well in the shade.Due to lack of sunlight the leaves and blossoms become not such a bright color.
already decided on those where become in the future to grow bloodroot?You can start to prepare the ground for planting work.
This will require a number of technical measures:
• dug up the site and remove any weeds.
• Prepare the planting hole depth of 40-60 cm. At the bottom lay a layer of gravel for better drainage.It will not hurt as well to add to the mixture of sand and humus, and 100 g of lime or wood ash to plants better accustomed to the new location.The distance between the holes will depend on the selected plant variety.To create hedges stick distance of 50-70 cm between the individual instances.
When planting holes are ready, you can start planting Potentilla one of the possible ways.
Methods landing on Potentilla
site The most popular methods of planting Potentilla - seeds and seedlings ready.Both options are simple and do not require special skills of the gardener.Which to choose?
Please note - not all cultivars are well propagated by seed!For example, white bloodroot only planted seedlings.Another problem associated with seed planting - is quite difficult to get the material itself.Well, if you procure seeds from friends who have gathered with their own plants.But not the fact that in this case all the rules have been complied with - perhaps plant did not rise.In addition, see the beautiful blooms you will not be earlier than 2 seasons.
planting rules, in this case, are:
• Planting works are carried out in the spring or summer, when the outside temperature is warm established.
• Pre-soaked for days in water the seeds in the lower planting hole depth of no more than 2 cm There is another way -. Just lay the seeds on the soil surface a little squashing them with your finger into the soil.
• Seeds are small, so they do not fall asleep with a thick layer of earth.
• Liberally moisten the land.
• After 2-3 weeks, when the ground small hatch sprouts, seedlings them right away and begin to care for the plantings.
(Grown seedlings cinquefoil)
Potentilla seedling planting much easier!But when buying the planting material, pay attention to its quality - is not allowed the presence of traces of diseases and pests on the foliage.
Methodology This is more simple - do not need to prepare in advance of planting and wait a few years flowering.Novice gardeners should choose this farming.
Plant bush so:
• Roots treat with a special compound for a better rooting.
• Place the seedling so that the root collar was at ground level.
• Earth pour and sprinkle a little around the seedling needles or sawdust as mulch.
Rules Care Potentilla
Experienced gardeners bloodroot is growing at 10-15 years.Undemanding plant for the season gives a good growth of green mass that provides fast green areas - this is particularly true for species that have pale coloring of inflorescences.
care rules are simple:
• Watering .Watering bloodroot infrequent - would be enough 1-2 times a month.If the summer was hot, keep the soil around the bush much drying out.The need frequent watering only young seedlings - moisten the soil once a week.Do not use cold water - it can destroy the roots of the plants!Average irrigation rate - 1-1.5 buckets on each copy.To moisture quickly evaporates not regularly update the mulch layer underneath the plantings.
• Feeding .At the beginning of the spring under the bush is made of mineral fertilizers (100-150 g) - buy a special set, suitable for ornamental plants.Just before the start of flowering bloodroot Feed the potassium and phosphorus - it will contribute to stability of buds and brighter their colors.Towards autumn again fertilize a flower bed minerals.
• Loosening and weeding .Deep planting is not loose, because the root of Potentilla system is close to the surface of the soil!Sloppy action will damage the roots, so do not dig the soil deeper than 7 cm. Take care to bed is not overgrown with weeds regularly hence removing the shoots.Significantly reduces the growth of weeds mulch layer of 5 cm.
• Pruning .Throughout the season, remove the faded blossoms with branches and dried leaves - so long you prolong flowering.During the season, you need to spend 2 decorative "haircut" bush.If this is not done, the stems will grow strongly - any kind of decoration will not be.Removed from the plant all the damaged twigs and stems, directed to the middle of the bush.Krone, you can give the most bizarre shape - square, circle, animal figurines.Renewal pruning is carried out every 5 years in mid-April - a bush cut off almost to the base.So the plant has "updated" - wait for the next season of abundant flowering.Before rejuvenating pruning do not forget to feed the plant or mineral complex fertilizers.
Bloodroot tolerates winter cold .Moreover, over the years, its hardiness is increasing.Therefore, in the southern and temperate climate the plant can not further shelter for the winter.Only in the north to prevent the death of shoots, you can take care of the protection of the bush.Bend the branches to the ground (it can not do) and cover them with plastic or non-woven fabric.
(One way to cover cinquefoil)
to gusts of wind did not raise such a "cloak", fix the edges of the material with stones or sticks.According to the observations of experienced gardeners all varieties with pink or red inflorescences necessarily require a light winter shelter.
breeding methods Potentilla
When you become a pro in matters of cultivation of cinquefoil, you can expand the landing site of plants.Now you need to buy seedlings in nurseries - for reproduction, use those plants that are actively bloom in your flower bed.
Gardeners bloodroot propagated in several ways:
• cutting, coils ODA .This is the easiest method, but because, and most often used in ornamental horticulture.Technology such - notched escape bend down to the ground, cut the stem in place secure the pin, sprinkle it with earth.After some time slips will own root system - it can be disconnected from the parent plant and planted to a permanent place.
(Reproduction by layering)
• Division .Share shrub can, starting from 4 years of life.The process is conducted in the spring and fall, the main thing - the street has to be warm weather.Choose healthy appendage with growth buds and disconnect it from the parent bush.Planted planting material to a new location on the same technology as that of the seedling.
• Cuttings .Sprigs for propagation by cuttings in early summer cut from last year's shoots.To better they settled down, it is necessary to remove the lower leaves.Rooting conduct in the shaded area after the cutting processing with a special solution.For a few weeks further escape better cover glass jar to create greenhouse conditions.Regularly spray water escape.On a constant carry already grown plant.
• Seeds .If you choose this method of multiplication of cinquefoil, be prepared for the fact that qualitative characteristics are not always transferred to the new plant from the mother.Collect the seeds in late summer and mid autumn.Many gardeners planted bushes immediately after harvesting.This year, landing the work will not be carried out?Then the collected material to dry and packed in a bag.It will retain its properties for three years.
disease and harm
cinquefoil Potentilla When growing you do not need to frequently carry out preventive measures on the "extermination" of insect pests and planting treatment.The plant is almost never sick, and do not like bugs.
Only occasionally suffers from bloodroot spread rust.This is a fungal disease, which manifests itself in the form of a round orange spots on the leaves.Sometimes they are visible and on the stems.
(rust on the leaves of Potentilla)
rust causes premature death of green mass.
Later cinquefoil grows poorly and do not bloom so abundantly.The fungus appears at frequent rainy weather and low temperatures.It helps cope with the disease spraying 1% solution of liquid Bordeaux.
01, 05, 2016