Moist (wet ) cough in a child - determine the cause and how to treat it
Motherhood / / August 12, 2017
Children wet cough can occur for various reasons.Cough - a way to protect the body against various allergens, infections and irritants.
It allows you to keep the airways clear as possible, eliminates throat of phlegm excess postnatal edema (nasal mucus, which tends to go down the back of the throat) or any foreign object, accidentally caught in baby's mouth.If your child has a cough is present, but there are no other symptoms, it is not a sign of a serious disease.
In most cases, the cough occurs against SARS, accompanied by a bacterial infection, although it can occur in the background of other diseases, such as asthma.The infection triggers the production of large amounts of mucus, which contains white blood klntki help fight germs.In this case, the cough reflex is important because it removes excess mucus, allowing air to easily enter the lungs, helps the child to breathe, prevents ingress of mucus in the lungs.
When a child is in pastels, cough can be enhanced, and the patient's condition to deteriorate.The reason, the accumulation of slime on the back of the throat.Children tend progladyvat mucus rather than spit, as it is peculiar to adults.Contact with the mucus in the stomach can cause gastrointestinal disorder of the digestive tract, cause vomiting, especially when attacks drop.Mucus may negatively affect the child's stool.
Wet cough is often accompanied by additional symptoms - raising body temperature, runny nose, difficulty breathing, sore throat, wheezing when breathing.To find out the cause of the disease and find effective treatment is necessary to apply to the children's therapist.
If access to a doctor is not possible, you can use the old time-tested tips - offer the child plenty of drink, consisting of warm liquids - soothing cough sweet herbal teas, warm milk shakes, fruit compotes, sweetened with honey.
Contemporary Pediatrics recommends that parents not to resort to self-treatment of cough medication, especially if the child is under 6 years of age.Numerous studies have shown that self-treatment often does not cure, but only masks the problem, can have potentially dangerous side effects.
Key points to remember
• cough - a fairly common problem, especially among young children;
• cause of cough may make colds, asthma, bronchitis, various types of cigarette smoke;
• if the cough lasts for more than three weeks - this is not normal and may be a sign of pathology of thoracic organs;
• cough accompanied by fever, labored breathing, sore throat - requires medical supervision.
moist cough in children - when to seek medical attention?
Show the child to the doctor is necessary when:
• cough lasts longer than the three weeks;
• child often breathe, can not finish the sentence without coughing;
• the child is present the temperature is above 38.5 degrees Celsius;
• there snoring and whistling while breathing;
• cough prevents sleep at night;
• cough began after the baby choked on food.
moist cough in infants
Infants are very vulnerable to colds because their immune system is just learning to resist the alien infection.The most common cause of cough in infants is an infection of the upper airways, where cough is the primary symptom of the disease.During the day, the cough is weak in nature and tends to intensify at night and in the evening.
emerged from his throat cough baby turns red, the body begins to produce sputum.If your baby a strong immune system - a cough without any special treatment may be stopped for 2 weeks.If the body can not overcome the infection process may become chronic.
acute cough can also result from pneumonia, pertussis, tuberculosis.Chronic - as a result of foreign body aspiration, hereditary disorders, cystic fibrosis, primary ciliary dyskinesia, birth defects, airways or lung, inflammatory disorders affecting the airways or lungs, psychogenic cough arisen because of the stress.
Not every cough requires urgent care physician, even in infants.However, if the mother of the child discovers:
• Blue tint the lips or skin;
• loud squeaking noise (stridor) when the child breathes;
• shortness of breath;
• sluggish, sick look;
• uncontrollable coughing followed by a whistling air inlet - should urgently consult a doctor and take immediate action.
Coughing any gravity does not in any case impossible to stop feeding breast milk.
wet cough in older children
Cough older children - the most common symptom of a cold.It can be a terrible picture, but it is usually not a sign of a serious condition.Children with a cough caused by stagnation in the nose and the back of the throat may have difficulty sleeping on the stomach and on the back.The best position for sleeping with a strong cough is a semi-erect position on a cushion held high.
Official methods for the treatment of wet cough
If your child has a bad cough, but no nasal obstruction, the doctor probably will not prescribe medication for colds, and give recommendation to treat disease cough syrup - expectorant.As supportive measures can be recommended:
• excessive drinking;
• throat inhalation;
• humidification using a cool mist from the evaporator;
• nasal wash salt water, as a pre-emptive measures.
If the cough is accompanied by fever, redness of the throat, painful condition - can be assigned to comprehensive treatment, including several types of medicines:
1. Nasal decongestants drugs.The drugs allow to clear the nasal passages of mucus, and allow the child to breathe through the nose.The drugs also have a drying effect, so can reduce the cold, remove the swelling.
2. Antihistamines.This type of drugs can quickly relieve itching from the common cold and reduce mucus production.Some medications may have side effect - cause drowsiness.The phenomenon is well-suited for the night, but made it in the daytime.
3. cough syrup.Medicine is able to defeat even the persistent bad cough.It acts by ugnetaniya cough reflex in the mucosa of the throat and lungs, relieves inflammation, occurring against the backdrop of cough and usually does not have any side effects.
4. expectorant drugs.Medications can eliminate strong stagnant processes in the bronchi, lungs and chest, coughing easier, increase the expectorant effect.
Traditional methods of treatment of wet cough
effective home remedy for cough - a safe, inexpensive means, present in every home.
• For children from 3 months to a year, the best treatment for a cough is to drink warm drinks clear, for example, warm sugar water, apple juice, herbal tea.Number drink therapeutic should be 1-3 hours. Spoon (5-15 mL), 4 times a day.When preparing beverages do not use natural honey, as it may cause neonatal infantile botulism.
• For children from one year and up to 6 years of the best treatment for a cough can be a honey, 1/2 - 1 teaspoon (2-5 ml), in the preparation of the drink..Honey effectively thins the mucus and reduces cough.If honey is not possible to find, you can use corn syrup, freely sold in children's food stores and pharmacies.Recent studies have shown that honey is much more effective to cope with a cough than cough syrups pharmacy.
• For children from 6 years and older the best cough medicine can serve as antitussives candy made of sugar syrup.In the manufacture of candies in the candy you can enter any useful ingredients - coconut or butter, lemon juice.
Children older than 6 years recommended:
1. In preparing tea from thyme (thyme) as a hot drink.Drink reduces inflammation, relaxes the trachea and throat muscles.The teabag is steeped in hot water for 10 minutes, filter, add sugar or honey and give a tasty child medicine.If the drink add lemon juice, tea and get a rare fragrance will have an additional calming effect.
2. menthol candies or lozenges.Effectively it warms the back surface of the throat, which often suffers from a cough reflex.
3. The essential oil is rubbed into the chest area.To cook in the home therapeutic composition must be mixed in equal parts: the essential oil of eucalyptus, sage and mint with olive oil.The resulting mixture is better to prepare prior to use or store in the refrigerator.
4. Baked cinnamon pears.Delicacy is an excellent remedy for cough.
If a child has a wet cough with large amounts of mucus from the diet should remove any milk products.These foods are mucus stimulant, should therefore be excluded from the food to the complete disappearance of the cough.