Conjunctivitis in children : bacterial or viral - causes, symptoms and methods for treating
Motherhood / / August 12, 2017
disease do not seem very serious and some of his form gradually pass even with minimal treatment.But the consequences of careless attitudes are very grim from disturbances in visual acuity and complete his loss to meningitis and sepsis.In advanced cases of possible deformation of the century, the loss of the eye.Therefore, without falling into a quiet panic, parents should immediately show the child's pediatric ophthalmology.It will determine the specific etiology, make individual prescribing drugs and procedures.
What is conjunctivitis
conjunctiva - the mucous membrane that lines the inside of the eyelid, turning on the eyeball.Its inflammation is called conjunctivitis in medicine.
Common causes of disease:
- allergic reaction;
- viruses, fungi, bacteria;
- prolonged contact with irritants: dust,chemicals, smoke;
- exposure to light;
- failure to follow instructions on the wearing of contact lenses;
- a reaction to the medication drugs;
- hypothermia, eyestrain;
- diseases of organs of vision: astigmatism, myopia, hyperopia.
Types of conjunctivitis in children
There are two types of so-called disease of dirty hands:
1. Acute.At the beginning of the sharp malaise small capillaries dilate, sometimes they burst.Then, swollen eyelids, and made purulent / mucous fluid, often abundant.
2. Chronic.For children it is not typical, although it is theirs.Pathology is developing sluggishly, progressively affecting both eyes.
etiology classify some forms of conjunctivitis.Each has its own characteristics, so engaged, you should not self-medicate.
external manifestations of each of them quite similar:
- discomfort (sensation of sand under the eyelids, pain, fear of light, burning);
- redness protein tissue of the eyeball;
- swelling of the eyelids.
most commonly found in children viral and bacterial forms.
Viral conjunctivitis in children
Mucositis eyes provoked by virus, called viral conjunctivitis.
Types and etiology
1. Herpetic.The causative agent is the Herpes simplex virus.
2. Adenoviral.Called adenovirus is transmitted through personal contact, airborne droplets.
3. Against the background of common diseases.The cause is the agent of the respective viral diseases transmitted by airborne droplets.
4. Epidemic keratoconjunctivitis.The causative agent is the adenovirus serotype eight (group).
5. Epidemic hemorrhagic.Occurs because enterovirus-70 infection that occurs in person with the carrier.
5. Provoked molluscum contagiosum.It develops against disease caused by a poxvirus dermotropic.There is a loss of various areas of the skin, including the age of the baby, the infection is passed through contact-household.
Symptoms of viral conjunctivitis in children
Despite the fact that some of the symptoms in the development of all forms are identical to one another, specific signs of disease are present in each of them.
children is very common among children form.Suffering often 1 eye disease develops slowly and runs sluggishly.The most characteristic symptoms are: specific rash on the wings of the nose and eyelids, conjunctival hyperemia swelling, discharge from the conjunctival sac (mucous, mucopurulent).
addition, there are some characteristics of specific forms:
- follicles during follicular;
- ulcers / erosion on the cover and on the edges of the eyelids with vesicular-ulcer.
nodules may also appear in the sclera, resembling phlyctenas (bubbles with serous content).
Adenoviral conjunctivitis in children
The incubation period is about 8 days.Onset of the disease - inflammation of the nasal mucosa, accompanied by an increase in temperature.After she drops symptoms appear alternately on the eyes with a difference of 2 days cornea becomes less sensitive, growing regional hubs.
specific features of the various forms of adenoviral conjunctivitis:
1. Bluetongue form - hyperemia of the mucous membrane of the eyes, swelling of the eyelids accompanied with transition folds.From conjunctival discharge cavity appears in small quantities, the cornea loses its sensitivity slightly.Often seen in infants.
2. Follicular form - swelling and redness century transition folds, which concentrates most of the jelly follicles of different sizes.
3. filmy form - the subtlest grayish-white film on the shell, often bleeding underneath.
Epidemic keratoconjunctivitis in children
symptoms appear after 4-8 days after infection.The first sign - a general malaise and increased regional lymph nodes, their probing painful.Further diagnosis is performed by hyperemia and edema of the conjunctiva, a relatively small number of muco-purulent discharge, reduction in corneal sensitivity eyes.After about 7 days, recognizable signs of keratitis - accumulation point infiltrates (seals) on the cornea.Having recovered, the baby will have generated immunity.
epidemic hemorrhagic conjunctivitis in children
incubation period is up to 48 hours, recovering the child for 12 days.Symptoms common to all forms against the general malaise: photophobia, acute pain, the effect of the presence of foreign object under the eyelids.The doctor diagnoses the increase in the size of lymph nodes (preushnyh), conventional flushing transition bottom folds, follicles on it, mucous discharge.After 2 days after onset of the disease is reduced corneal sensitivity, appear subconjunctival hemorrhage.Rarely, but there are subepithelial infiltrates.
Conjunctivitis triggered molluscum contagiosum
determined by the doctor is very easy thanks to the typical changes on the surface of the eyelids.Associated symptoms - folliculosis, swelling, redness of the mucous folds of transition.
Conjunctivitis varicella (generally of viral diseases)
The long incubation period - up to 21 days.Fever, against this background that begins tearing, photophobia, manifested injection (redness) of the eyeball, vesicular rash on the skin and mucous century.When the bubbles are, the sores are small, giving the later scars of small size.Provided mucous fluid may develop keratitis in rare cases.
methods of treatment of viral conjunctivitis in children
Severe conjunctivitis, accompanied by the formation of follicles, usually treated in a hospital.Lightweight intervention serious manifestations not require treatment often aimed at facilitating the child's condition by eyewash and prevention of bacterial infection and re-infection.
Regardless of the severity of the disease should consult with an ophthalmologist.The most common purpose:
- an ointment for topical use - acyclovir 3%, 0.25% oxalic, florenalevaya, tebrofenovaya 0.5% 0.5%;
- interferon drops his inductors;
- solutions for the prevention of secondary injury - piloksidina 0.05%, 0.25% chloramphenicol, miramistina 0.01%.
single dose drugs, the frequency of use during the day and the duration of treatment in general need to know your doctor.
Bacterial conjunctivitis in children
From the title it is clear that the typical disease pathogens - bacteria.Specificity of symptoms depends on the specific type of non-nuclear micro-organisms.
Types and basic forms of pathogens
1. Gonococcal (gonoblenoreya) - the cause of becoming infected by direct contact gonococcus Neisser.
2. Diphtheria - Diphtheria disease is triggered by a stick Klebs - Loeffler.
3. Diplobatsillyarny - pathogen is diplobatsilla Moraksa-Aksenfeld.
4. Pneumococcal - originator of the disease appears pneumococcus.
Symptoms of bacterial conjunctivitis in children
Gonococcal conjunctivitis (gonoblenoreya)
Distinguish gonoblenoreyu infants, children and adults.
Infection infants occurs at birth when a pipsqueak passes through the birth canal mother with gonorrhea.Another option - for violations of sanitary rules for baby care.
Acute development of pathology gets on the 3rd day after birth, beginning with a purple-bluish swelling of the eyelids.The gap between them is almost not visible when you open the pours serous-bloody substance.The mucous membrane of the eyes infiltrated, hyperemic, bleeds easily.Delays in treatment and the appearance of complications may lead to complete organ death.
Gonoblenoreya children observed more often in girls infected with gonorrhea from her that in case of violation of personal hygiene.For more severe than in the newborn.Inflammation quickly moves on the cornea, formed deep ulcers that destroy the skin.After perforation of the infection affects the eye tissues, causing it to die.It is therefore essential to timely diagnosis of the disease.
Diphtheria conjunctivitis in children
Symptoms start matches featured diphtheria - fever, loss of sleep, loss of appetite, headaches, soreness prootic growth and lymph nodes.Then the kid reveals swelling and discoloration age, they become dense and bluish (cyanotic) shade.
due to compression of vessels of the mucous membrane pale, may be coated with thin films, the removal of which is accompanied by bleeding.Subsequently, on the site of emerging and undergoing granulation with pus are stellate scars.
sick child often blink, complains of discomfort in the eyes (stinging, burning, itching).In the corners of the eyes appears flushing of the skin.The edges of the eyelids are red and slightly thicker.Along the edges of the eye slit in the skin moist cracks occur.
arises mainly in children, may be endemic in educational institutions.First, there is a pronounced swelling of the eyelids, and then formed petechial hemorrhages on the mucous membrane of the eyes of the protein.The next stage - the appearance of whitish plenochek the conjunctiva, under which it is red, but not bleeding.Appearing on the envelope sealing (infiltrations) have consequences.
treatment of bacterial conjunctivitis in children
acute conjunctivitis Treatment is carried out in two phases: a diagnostic and therapeutic.On the ground there is specification of forms, identification of the causative agent and the appointment.
1. Isolation of a sick child.
2. Processing of age up to 4 times a day swab with disinfectant solution (furatsilin etc.).
3. Instill up to 8 times a day in the affected eye drops based antiseptic or sulfa drugs.
4. Laying the night for ever and antibiotic ointment (1% tetracycline, gentamicin 0.1%, 0.5% erythromycin).
In the second, the therapeutic stage after further diagnosis made adjustments to the prescribed treatment.Usually it instillation (infusion dropwise) into the conjunctival sac of drugs which depress the mucous membrane of the identified flora.
memo for Mom
Since most types of conjunctivitis is contagious, that during treatment it is important to follow certain precautions.
1. Everyone in the family is necessary to use a personal towel for the patient, it should hang without touching the others.
2. pillowcase on the pillow in the child patient is required to change daily.
3. More often wash their hands with soap and water.
4. Glass sticks and pipettes should be sterilized.
5. The room, which houses a sick child, it should be aired more often.
6. Daily wet cleaning of the premises carried out with soapy water, disinfectant solution can be purchased at the pharmacy.
7. Personal belongings of the sick baby can not be used.
8. Every day, wipe the door handles and the objects used by the whole family.
Important: finished the cure conjunctivitis is still dangerous, stop the procedure is possible only with permission of a doctor.